Monday, October 17, 2011

That's Mya's

We have these 2 magic words in our house: that's Mya's. To which Ella and Clayton stop and replace whatever it is they just got their hands on. The other day I was prepping snacks to take to neurology and look over to find Clayton mid-stride 4 foot into the 5 feet of tubing that is Mya's feeding pump with a giant grin on his face. Look what I found. The other end is attached to her belly. STOP. That's Mya's. Normally he wouldn't touch her tube, we have already established that its Mya's, but I had just set it up in the cute little travel backpack to take it with us in the car. It was a little too tempting. At least we would have been prepped and ready and already heading to the hospital anyway. But let's not. It is kind of interesting what they do not respond to, or at least what elicits a complaint: no, please put that down, that is not yours, for the love of God stop screaming. But with 'that's Mya's' apparently they know we mean business. I wonder if that means we are softies in all other areas of discipline.

I think it is fantastic how wonderful they are with their sister. Maybe sometimes we take advantage of that bond. One possible distraction to the pre-dinner fuss is: hey Clayton, have you given Mya a kiss today? Whatever the answer, off he goes. It buys you at least 3 seconds of silence. They fight over her chairs when she is not in them but will exit without complaint when we go to put her back. They push her in the stroller outside and bring her toys when she fusses. They rough house with each other but with Mya they are different. They are gentle and compassionate and a little in love. The feeling, I believe, is mutual. She loves to watch them, she responds to their touch, she has been known to laugh when they cause a ruckus. One of the things we struggle with is giving her the appropriate amount of entertainment. Most toys are too busy and not easily activated or propped within reach. TV in general is a lot to take in, as are most activities we would do outside the house. What she really needs is someone to sit down with her and help her explore and interact with a toy. And as we know that is not always possible. Luckily for her, we have 2 built in sources of entertainment. And entertain they do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious! I'm sooo looking forward to witnessing those sibling kisses and love....

Anonymous said...

(~ljk)