Wednesday, June 13, 2012

We could all learn something from the toddlers


The other night Ella woke up before her brother from naps. We usually let them pass blankets and chatter and wake up slowly. But Mimi was over and chomping at the bit to get her hands on a child, as grandmothers do. So we left Clayton in bed asleep. I was in the bedroom that shares the wall by his bed as he started to wake. 'Eye-ya. Eye-ya? Uh oh, Eye-ya!'. The confusion and disappointment in his voice about broke my heart. His Ella was missing and his world unbalanced. A few minutes later someone came and got him out of bed. I was still in the other room but could feel the smile plastered across his face as I heard him run to his sister 'EYE-YA!'.

This morning I had to laugh as the fight over chalk began to escalate. Ella had the light orange. She wanted the just plain orange. Clayton was clueless to the fact that he held in his hand the resolution to the problem. Oh, the lady has a temper. Clayton can you just switch with her? Oh, okay. No problem. The tears dissolved and they each got into their respective cozy coupes, chalk in hand and drove away... so to speak; they aren't allowed up past the fence.

I hope they never change. I hope they will always count on each other to be there when they wake up. I hope they will forever be able to fight over something as ridiculous as one space on the color wheel and settle their differences with a simple swap. Stay 2 forever guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"uh oh. Eye-ya!" ...That is just too adorable! :)
Can't wait to see them!
~ljk