Friday, October 12, 2012

If I was more handy I would be rich

I learned last week that in 5 months we are losing the blue chair. The blue chair! Can't you just see Mya clinging to the thing as it is whisked away. My blue chair! That's kind of like if I told you that on March 4th all the chairs in your home would be removed and if you cared for seating you could replace them from the inventory of a single IKEA in Nebraska. And pay shipping. And go through insurance. Are there IKEAs in Nebraska? Oh wait they don't ship do they? Do they take my insurance? Exactly. Okay that might be an exaggeration, but the point is that Mya has very few options and they all cost way more than a place to sit down should. As we discussed replacing said chair before she is laying on the floor in tears we got to talking about what it cannot do: roll. So today we tried to swap out its base for a base with wheels. When PT Patti told me she had another family with a wheelie base for the same seat that was not being used I got excited and started Googling. Oh won't it be nice to be able to move her from room to room without the stoop and drag motion! Umm, Patti, I don't think that is going to work. Oh it will work, she says. My geometry brain said no, but I thought maybe Patti had some tricks up her sleeve. My geometry brain was right. I hate it when that happens.

So here is my issue. If you are making a seating system for children with special needs, why would you not consider the needs of those children? I know there are a lot of kids who just need a little support, but guess what? There are a whole lot of other products out there that provide just a little support. If I put my child on that base her chin will be touching her chest if I am not holding it up. Lower the back, or make it pivot, or extend the base. I mean really there are a lot of choices. Who needs a feeder chair and can sit virtually upright? Okay probably a lot of people, but not all! And the fix is so simple! Your design stinks. At least that's what Mya was telling us (when she could get her head up that is) as we tried to 'make it work'. Our next best bet is to build her a scooter board type base and add some velcro on the bottom of the current base, however now I know that one will be heading out the door very shortly so probably we will be stooping and dragging for a bit longer. Although I just Googled our alternatives in new seating systems with significant recline options. I might as well get started on our scooter board.

What is this crazy woman talking about? Oh, I see!

We should probably buy these children some paint brushes.
Hey dude.

No comments: