We had Mya evaluated for augmentative communication devices and she had a great session. I was so encouraged with what the therapist had to say. She demonstrated that she has a grasp on cause and effect relationships with her switches and the IPad, and those are skills we can build on as she enters the school system. We are moving forward with getting Mya an IPad of her own. It is unreal what she can do with that device and the apps that are out there for people with needs are really amazing. I can't wait to see what she can do when she can use it on her time, rather than the scheduled hour on the calendar when the therapists are in. For the very first time, sitting with that speech therapist doing her evaluation, I could envision Mya having a voice and making choices about her environment through assisted devices. I am so excited for her to show us what she is capable of. My kids are awesome and I am so proud of them all!
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Who would have thought an apple could do that
I feel like so much is changing these days and I am just trying to hang on for the ride. Clayton, who I would have placed second in the race, is using the potty (when he feels like it). He is so proud of himself! We haven't made the decision to move forward with getting out of diapers. In fact, I take zero credit for the strides they are making at this point. That would be their sitter and their therapists pushing us along the path to diaper freedom. But soon, when we have the energy for chasing naked bottoms, we will get there. Ella, our tallest, is quite literally growing out of her bed. So big kid beds are on the to-do list. Soon. Mya's medication shuffle somehow landed her with pretty great alertness, when she is awake. She is still sleeping well past noon on most days, but it is great to see her attend to things again. Her smiles haven't really returned as I hoped they might, but she just seems more comfortable.
We had Mya evaluated for augmentative communication devices and she had a great session. I was so encouraged with what the therapist had to say. She demonstrated that she has a grasp on cause and effect relationships with her switches and the IPad, and those are skills we can build on as she enters the school system. We are moving forward with getting Mya an IPad of her own. It is unreal what she can do with that device and the apps that are out there for people with needs are really amazing. I can't wait to see what she can do when she can use it on her time, rather than the scheduled hour on the calendar when the therapists are in. For the very first time, sitting with that speech therapist doing her evaluation, I could envision Mya having a voice and making choices about her environment through assisted devices. I am so excited for her to show us what she is capable of. My kids are awesome and I am so proud of them all!
We had Mya evaluated for augmentative communication devices and she had a great session. I was so encouraged with what the therapist had to say. She demonstrated that she has a grasp on cause and effect relationships with her switches and the IPad, and those are skills we can build on as she enters the school system. We are moving forward with getting Mya an IPad of her own. It is unreal what she can do with that device and the apps that are out there for people with needs are really amazing. I can't wait to see what she can do when she can use it on her time, rather than the scheduled hour on the calendar when the therapists are in. For the very first time, sitting with that speech therapist doing her evaluation, I could envision Mya having a voice and making choices about her environment through assisted devices. I am so excited for her to show us what she is capable of. My kids are awesome and I am so proud of them all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Agreed! Your kids are awesome!!!
~ljk
What a cute shot of your kiddos! I can't believe all Mya has done lately!
Post a Comment