Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Whoopsie

I did ask before Mya started school what would happen if we weren't home when the bus dropped her off because I was pretty sure we would be testing that scenario pretty quickly. Close call.

Ella and Clayton had their school picnic from 11-1. Lunch didn't get served until about 12:10, about the time my reminder on my phone was telling me to start wrapping it up. Have you ever tried to tell toddlers to hustle through a meal of hotdogs, chips and cupcakes? Good luck. Mya get's off the bus at 12:30 on the dot. It really is fascinating to me how prompt they are. But yesterday the bus driver told me they might be running late due to the high school schedule this week. I was counting on this uncertainty as I was bribing them to the car with the smiley face cookies a few seconds before Clayton headed face first into the pavement. Pause for soothing voices and rescuing preschool teachers. So by late I guess they meant like 45 seconds or something because as I am pushing subdivision speed limits, praying please don't make me find and drive to the bus garage to retrieve my child and rounding the curve at 12:33 the driver is on the way back down my porch steps with a perplexed look on her face and the line of cars is 5 deep on each side of the stopped bus. I throw the van into park on the side of the street, yell back for my cookie monsters to hold tight and take off across the street and up the sidewalk like a crazy woman in flip flops. I'm here! So if you were on my street between 12:30 and 12:35, my apologies for your delay. My kids wanted hot dogs. Miss Mya slept through the whole adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alicia, you continue to amaze me!!