There are three parking spaces at our pediatrician's office that slope down to enter and then back up as you park. Parking in any of the three means that my rear bumper is very nearly on the ground and the lift gate will be at head smacking level when it is open. And every single time I park there I very nearly knock myself out both coming and going. Every single time. It has become sort of a personal challenge when I pull in and see that those spots are open and also some 3 aisles back. I can do this, this time I will not walk into a headache. And then I do. And on the way out it is worse because I have sort of a lift and quickly pivot move that helps me get the stroller into the van without hurting myself. And so I am focusing on the lift and the pivot and then smack, I also have to focus on not dropping the stroller. And as I am trying not to drop the stroller or the 'f' bomb I always tell myself that next time we are parking 3 aisles back. That happened today.
Today was the sort of day that makes me happy I like a challenge. Mya had a pretty rough evening last night with an out of nowhere vomit and choking spell that took a good hour of on and off suctioning to clear. She was super irritated in the arm pumping in pain sort of way and we just could not figure out what was wrong. We did finally get her to keep down some tylenol and get some sleep but I had a pretty good feeling that she was not going to wake up well. I was scheduled for Ella and Clayton's preschool conferences first thing but I thought that maybe they would be cancelled for the weather. They called about 30 minutes before to let me know if they were still on. Would I still like to keep the time? As I am thinking about my sleeping child and the portable suction that needs a new part so must be rigged up with random tubes and the other 2 children that I will have to dress for the weather and the snow and salt that will collect on the stroller wheels and make its way onto my jeans during the pivot I hear myself saying 'yep, we will be there, I am waiting for a call back from the pediatrician, but I think we can still fit it in'.
It's almost like I walk into the lift gate on purpose. And I totally did. I ended up suctioning in the parking lot of school standing in the sub-freezing temps and then again midway through our conference. The timing worked out to get to the pediatrician right after our already scheduled play date was supposed to start so I just dropped the maniacs off on the way. I learned between my concussions that Mya has a pretty gnarly ear infection, which doesn't really explain the vomiting but whatever, and then we returned to the play date. She proceeded to sleep but then also to choke on her peanut-filled breakfast in my dear friend's nut allergy home. Like really, not a good day for my lady. We finished the day with over-exhausted 3-year-olds waking up from naps just in time to be 5 minutes late to swim lessons. And so I am decompressing but also thinking that tomorrow we will definitely be parking 3 aisles back. Or maybe we won't leave the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment