Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ouch

So the big kids have some serious diaper rash. Like raw and blistering and oozing and screaming mad when you even act like you are going to change them. I would cry too. It is horrible. I talked to the doctor's office today and they pretty much confirmed what the internet already told me to do. Gotta love the internet. Last night we tried baking soda baths and A&D. They suggested hydrocortizone & desitin today, half of which we have been doing for days. Ella even got to hang out in her birthday suit for a bit. Hopefully tomorrow brings some relief! Poor babies. Mya's bum is still looking smooth so hopefully she is spared from this nonsense.

So during my research to solve the booty crisis I came across the suggestion of cloth diapers to let the little bums breath a bit more. I have always been tempted to give it a try but quickly dismiss the idea when I realize that the next stressor in my life might just be the one to push me over the edge. Kinda like my pledge to pump right up until they knocked on the door to cart me off to the loony-bin. That happened when they were around about 8 months old a few weeks into the great Mya scream-fest of 2010. But anyway, I had just finished reading my friend Dr. Jo's blog about this very subject and felt inspired so I pulled the trigger. Well, like half-way pulled the trigger. I found some all-in-ones on clearance so got a few to see if there is some way to fit it into our routine. I had to first promise Bernie that he would not have to re-touch, scrap, dunk or wash a single poopy diaper so long as he lives. So lets just say he is not quite on board with the idea as of yet (and Jamie I am sorry if you get hate mail). The tentative plan, as Mya poops every other day pretty much like clockwork, is to use them primarily for her on the 'other' day. Plus, I have always been curious if the reason we have to keep cream on Ella 24/7 has something to do with the diapers or wipes so this will give me a chance to test that theory.

Either way, we need to kick these rashes and I am willing to try anything. Something about Mylanta and Vaseline keeps popping up, so that might be on the checklist for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jo said...

i hope i am not partially responsible if you get committed!! good luck ;)
bernie may surprise you- it is not nearly as bad as it seems it will be AND you can get some disposable liners to put inside the diaper to just throw away if poops get on them.

as for the rash- try burnt corn starch and/or a cream with calendula in it. weleda makes a decent cream. i always get pissy if people give unsolicited advice BUT we have found both very helpful with nolan.

Alicia said...

Will add it to the list. Clayton is on the road to recovery. Ella, not so much.