Of all the stores I frequent, Aldi is by far the one that encourages the most real human interaction. I think it is the quarters. Nothing helps you pull your gaze off the ground and into a strangers face like the chance to retrieve your quarter without walking your cart back to the front of the store. They also engineered the narrow aisles and cart-switch check-out system to ensure that, should you encounter an empty parking lot, you do not head home without conversing with strangers.
Like many moms, I love spending my free time grocery shopping. Don't kid yourselves dads. We don't love it. It is a necessary evil that we convince ourselves we enjoy in order to pretend our 'me time' quota is being fulfilled. We do it because the amount of detail and direction we would need to outline for our husbands to hit the store and end up without a revolving door of frozen pizza, tacos and spaghetti would require more time than the trip itself. Ok, maybe it isn't rocket science, and you didn't hear this from me but, the men can be taught, just as I am sure that I could conquer lawn maintenance, bug smashing and jar opening. Well maybe not jar opening. My husband spent months following my detailed lists (written in the order the items would be encountered on the store shelves) and emerged as quite the efficient and economically minded shopper. But as I am no longer bed ridden, this is how I spend my naptime reprieve every Saturday, traveling from store to store accumulating the week's necessities and pondering what gives each store its personality.
1 comment:
Ugh, I hate grocery shopping. I keep dreaming of the day when I can just go shop for me, for whatever I want, instead of milk, eggs and diapers.
Post a Comment