Tuesday, May 14, 2013

It may not be THE sweetest sound a mother can hear...

...but when you are three years into buying diapers for 3 it ranks right up there ('It' being the sound of a toilet flush and a little voice calling for help with the sink). And this post is completely about poop and pee, so you have been warned.

I am taking zero credit for our potty training progress to this point. It has pretty much been happening in my absence. But they have been making progress and showing signs and we have been letting them take their time. A few months back I was at Target with Ella and Clayton and we swung through the itty-bitty underwear aisle. Look Clayton those are cars undies! And Ella they have princesses! Are those not the coolest things ever! And they are asking me to take them out and holding them and jumping up and down in their grocery cart spots and getting all stoked over the underwear deal and I am getting excited that this could be it! Do you guys want to buy some?...No, I want to wait.. ???!!????? Okay, we will wait.

But last Sunday morning when they both went pee-pee in the potty (I say pee-pee like it is a normal everyday word these days) instead of putting the diapers right back on I pulled out some cars and some princesses that we had since returned to buy 'just-in-case'. Hey guys do you want to wear these for a little while? And they did, all morning and they did great. So all week the bathroom door revolved and we might as well have left the water running in the sink for as many times as hands were washed but we had surprisingly few accidents...aside from the dining room chair incident. Imagine hearing what sounds like a high powered water gun only realizing instead of water it is urine and instead of being outside (or you know, in the toilet) it is pooling around your 3-year-old's knee and soaking into the fabric and foam of the dining room chair. I kind of had to laugh because just the week before a fellow triplet mom was over with her crew and she gasped at our dinner table arrangement. You let them sit on your good chairs! Apparently I let them pee on them too.

Anyway, we are rocking this underwear deal and taking it upon ourselves to go to the bathroom, flush the toilet and call for help turning on the sink...bigger step stool is on the shopping list. Because of that this morning I asked them if they wanted to wear diapers or underwear to school fully expecting these timid kids to go for diapers. And they both said underwear. So really they called my bluff and off we went. And I really wasn't exactly sure what the story would be when I went and got them today but I was trusting that a school full of preschool teachers would be up for this little experiment. I am not really sure if it was a success or not but Ella came back to me in an entirely new outfit down to the socks BUT with underwear on and Clayton came back to me in the original red car underwear full of turds (I think that happened on the walk home, but not exactly sure). But when I asked if they were going to wear diapers or underwear on Thursday the answer was an enthusiastic underwear! Maybe that is success?

3 comments:

Alvera said...

I'm sure it's the book on potty training that got them started!

Aunt Alvera

Alicia said...

Haha. Alvera it was!

Momma Maria said...

OH man! Good luck!!!!!