Sunday, November 3, 2013

Don't mind me, I am just pulling air out of my daughter's stomach. Enjoy your lunch.

...you get some looks.

I walked around with vomit on my pant leg for two days. It's not that I didn't see it, I am just getting really used to vomit. Is that gross? Things have stopped being gross. Except boogers. I still hate boogers. We are going through a rough feeding patch. Mya can't seem to tolerate her old feeding schedule and so we are constantly re-evaluating how much we are going to try to get into her that meal, how quickly and making sure she gets vented (which is basically burping out her tube..gross?) a lot. Sometimes we miss the mark and she is quite unforgiving.

We saw GI last week to rule out a 'fixable' issue and didn't really get very far. We started her on a trial of reflux meds to see if maybe she has some damage due to stomach acid that might be treatable. Normally a child would be in pain and complain during feedings if this was the issue, but we know that Mya has an extremely high pain tolerance so it is possible that she could have something going on and we wouldn't be able to tell. It felt a little like a shot in the dark and we are nearing the two week mark with little change. The next step would be to run contrast through her tube and watch how everything 'flows'.

In the meantime we are doing our best. Sometimes our best means catching vomit. I am getting quite skilled. One day last week she got 'the look' as I finished strapping her into her stander. So I grabbed a stack of burp clothes and proceeded to catch 'the flow' in burp clothes, while repeatedly and gently placing the lovely bundles on the hardwood floor. It took 5. The stander survived quite well. Ella and Clayton are no longer phased about the flow and are increasingly less responsive to my calls for help. Just give me a minute guys, I will help you with your puzzles after your sister stops choking! We make light, but really the vomit is kind of a big deal.  It comes out her nose along with her mouth and blocks her airway, sometimes for the entire time I am running for suction. Add to that that she is now eating almost continuously when she is at home and isn't tolerating really any position but her feeding chair while she is eating so working with her on any sort of therapy is just hard. We are really in need of a solution here. I have been told that sometimes there really is no solution and that we may just have to keep doing what we are doing. I really dislike that answer, so I will keep looking.

No comments: