She lights up. When her head hits your shoulder and she settles in she just relaxes. When you snuggle up beside her on the bed her breathing quickens, she gets her happy arms and she calls out her joy. You touch your hand to her fist and she reaches out for more. She loves the closeness, she needs the touch. She really just lights up when you are being with her. I think we forget sometimes how much she needs us to just be with her. We have her food to make and machines to clean and way too tiny purple pills to pull apart. We have calls to make, to fight for her, to schedule for her, to order for her. And she is not an only child. It takes time, all of it, and it leaves us with just a little less...everything. But to feel her light up is everything.
Most parents, this one included, connect with their children in hundreds of ways throughout the day. So much so that we take for granted the touches and the conversations. I handle crises with a chat on the lap and high five for a job well done. They pull on my shirt so I can watch them dance or beg me to sit down and play cars and then look me in the eye as they tell me I am doing it wrong. They seek it out and pull me in all day long. Mya is content to sit. As much as we roll her around and talk to her and try to bring her into our day she really thrives when we are able to join hers. I hate how little time we have for that. I am going to work on making time for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment